The Homunculus was said to be a powerful monster like no other. With the update is out, it’s time to put those words to the test! To obtain a Homunculus, you need to farm elemental crystals from the 5 new rift bosses. Unlike the original rift raids 1-5, these new dragons are single player bosses, one for each elemental type, and also affected by elemental advantages and disadvantages. Each requires a different strategy to beat, which I’ll outline here:
Fire Rift: Requires area of effect (aoe) damage to wipe out spawned adds. Adds are untargetable and, if left alive, will do massive damage to your group. MVPs: Alicia, Taor, Poseidon, Water Kung Foo Girl.
Water Rift: Boss freezes 75% of HP, neutralizes passives and slows down speed. MVPs: Bernard, high damage wind monsters.
Wind Rift: Boss electrifies the group. Group will take great damage when electrified. Electric status will be removed when a monster is healed to 100% hp or your group damages the boss into the groggy state. MVPs: Perna, Verdehile, Chasun, Shihwa, Fire DPS on vampire runes.
Light Rift: Boss creates a shield that greatly mitigates the damage from each hit. MVPs: Single-hitting DPS
Dark Rift: Boss immobilizes a monster on the front line with 30+ counters. Counters can be removed quickly with multi-hitting monsters or pushing the boss into the groggy state. MVPs: Multi-hitting DPS
The tank requirements for elemental rift raids are not as strict as R5, and many have crafted teams with 1 healer and 5 DPS. having two high defense monsters on the front line is still important as the boss does hit the front line like in R5, just not as hard.
When you first enter the dungeon with your team of 6, you are confronted with a dragon with a hp bar. You must bring the hp bar to 0 to put the dragon into a groggy state. Note: the dragon cannot be debuffed during this first stage. Once the hp bar reaches 0 and the dragon cowers into a groggy state, you will have a short time to do as much damage as possible. Then the dragon will wake up, and you repeat the first two steps.
Once you have completed a second groggy phase, the only thing left to do is bring the dragon’s hp bar to 0 one last time, and he will be defeated. If your team dies before you are able to defeat this 5th stage, you will get no higher than an A+ no matter how much damage you do. If you do defeat the dragon, but get less than 3 million damage, you will receive a score of S. Defeating the dragon and dealing over 3 million damage grants a SS score, and anything 3.5 million or higher grants SSS.
As you can imagine, higher scores grant bigger quantities of crystals as a reward. You will get at the very minimum several crystals of the elemental type you are fighting, and in smaller quantities magic crystals and pure magic crystals. Note: It will be very inefficient to farm a Homunculus if you are not able to score at least B or higher in the rift dungeons.
Once you have farmed 500 Fire, 250 Water, 250 Wind, and 500 Magic crystals, you are ready to summon your Homunculus! Go to your craft building, (build for 120k if you haven’t), select the Homunculus tab and craft your first Homunculus!
He will be a 5 star, unawakened, fire type. You may awaken him at any time now, and even if you awaken it into fire, you can still change it to water or wind and still maintain the awakened state. You now have your Homunculus, but the journey has just begun! You need to farm many more essences to strengthen the skills of your Homunculus. There are dozens of paths you can take, and it all depends on what kind of attacker you want to build. Single target vs, AOE damage, utility and speed vs extra damage, and many more options.
- 2nd skill tree: 500 (element) + Magic, 250 each L/D
- 3rd skill tree: 800 (element) + Magic, 400 each L/D
- 4th skill tree: 1200 (element) + Magic, 600 each L/D
- 5th skill tree: 1700 (element) + Magic, 850 each L/D
No matter how you skill your Homunculus, it will never be the best in it’s class. The fire Homunculus will never be as good as Zaiross and the Water Homunculus will never be as good as Verad. The Wind Homunculus is an exception because he definitely is better than Amir.
Even without being the best monster in its class, the Homunculus is very powerful, and can fulfill an important role for summoners missing Zaiross or Verad. Here are the skill multipliers for each Homunculus skill tree courtesy Xzandro from reddit:
Homunculus – Fire
Basic 1. Skill – Flame Ray: 380% Atk
- Upgraded 1. Skill – Flame Ray – Flood: 100% Attack * ((Spd + 120) / 60)
- Upgraded 1. Skill – Flame Ray – Chain: 4 * 100% Atk
Basic 2. Skill – Flaming Magic Bullet: 580% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Flaming Magic Bullet- Flood: 100% Atk * ((Spd + 170) / 50)
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Flaming Magic Bullet- Accelerate: 580% Atk
Basic 2. Skill – Igniting Magic Bullet: 580% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Igniting Magic Bullet- Brand: 580% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Igniting Magic Bullet- Chain: 3 * 200% Atk
3. Skill – Burn Soul: Spd * 1 + ((Enemy Spd + 225) / 60) * 100% Atk
3. Skill – Flaming Thunder: 100% Atk * ((Spd + 165) / 70)
3. Skill – Eruption: 800% Atk
3. Skill – Flame Explosion: 4 * 200% Atk
Homunculus – Water
Basic 1. Skill – Frost Ray: 380% Atk
- Upgraded 1. Skill – Frost Ray – Purify: 380%
- Upgraded 1. Skill – Frost Ray – Fluctuate: 280%
Basic 2. Skill – Pulverizing Magic Bullet: 580% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Pulverizing Magic Bullet- Fluctuate: 360% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Pulverizing Magic Bullet- Amplify: 400% Atk + 10% Enemy MAX HP
Basic 2. Skill – Icy Magic Bullet: 360% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Icy Magic Bullet – Absorb: 360% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Icy Magic Bullet – Chain: 3 * 120% Atk
3. Skill – Ice Explosion: 460% Atk
3. Skill – Freeze Mind: 550% Atk + 10% Enemy MAX HP
3. Skill – Frost Wind: 410% Atk
3. Skill – Ice Mist: 460% Atk
Homunculus – Wind
Basic 1. Skill – Shock Ray: 380% Atk
- Upgraded 1. Skill – Shock Ray – Chain: 3 * 130% Atk
- Upgraded 1. Skill – Shock Ray – Destroy: 380%
Basic 2. Skill – Air Magic Bullet: 580% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Air Magic Bullet – Brand: 580% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Air Magic Bullet – Chain: 3 * 200% Atk
Basic 2. Skill – Lightning Magic Bullet: 580% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Lightning Magic Bullet – Destroy: 580% Atk
- Upgraded 2. Skill – Lightning Magic Bullet – Suppress: 580% Atk
3. Skill – Whirling Wind: 3 * 250% Atk
3. Skill – Magic Bullet Madness: 5 * 180% Atk
3. Skill – Sharp Wind: 800% Atk
3. Skill – Soul Shot: 800% Atk